What are Professional Development Units (PDUs)?
Professional Development Units (PDUs) are credits needed for renewal of the PMP certification through the Continuing Certification Requirements Program (CCR) Program. The PMI Global website defines a PDU as “the measuring unit used to quantify approved learning and professional service activities".One PDU is earned for every one hour spent in a planned, structured learning experience or activity. Fractions of PDUs may be reported in 0.25 increments following one full hour.Click here to see the handbook for your specific certification.
The purpose of the Continuing Certification Requirements Program (CCR) Program is to:
• Sustain the PMP as a global certification credential
• Enhance the ongoing professional development of PMPs
• Encourage and recognize individualized learning opportunities
• Offer a standardized and objective mechanism for attaining and recording professional development activities.
PMPs must accrue a minimum of sixty (60) Professional Development Units (PDUs) every three years. Fifteen of the 60 PDUs must be educational.
The certification / CCR cycle begins the day you pass the exam and/or multi-rater assessment (for PgMP credential holders) and ends on the same date three years later. More information is available on PMI's Web Site. See how to maintain your credential on the PMI Web site. PMPs must also comply with the PMP Code of Professional Conduct to maintain certification status.
Need to Claim PDUs for Chapter Meetings?
- Keep track of them!
- PMIRGC will not submit or track PDUs for you
- Enter them online regularly at www.pmi.org
- Check your transcript
- Keep all paperwork for classes, PDUs, etc.
- Be prepared to be audited!
- Mark which Chapter meetings you attend (print receipt)
- Do not wait until the last minute to submit your PDUs
Detailed Instructions for reporting your PDU's are below.
A) Locate the PMI.org PDU Reporting page
1.Go to www.pmi.org
2. On the top right, click "Log In" and enter your PMI username and password
- Option 1: In the menu bar, click on "My PMI", In the Certification Status section, click on "Report PDUs".
- Option 2: Go to http://www.pmi.org/en/Certification/Maintain-Your-Credential.aspx, click on "Report PDUs".
B) Claim your PDUs for 1 to 2 PDU Events, such as the regular Chapter Dinner Meetings.
- 1. PDU Category: Select "Cat A: Registered Education Provider/PMI Component"
- 2. Activity Type: Select "Report a component 1-2 PDU Event"
- 3. Click [Next]
- 4. Enter C033 for Component ID
- 5. Click [Search]
- 6. "C033 PMI Rio Grande Chapter" should be listed.
- 7. Enter the Activity date (meeting date) and Activity title (Chapter Dinner Meeting)
- 8. The remainder of the fields are optional
- 9. Click [Next]
- 10. Enter the number of PDUs claimed (Chapter Dinner Meetings are 1.5 PDU, Breakfast meetings are 1 PDU)
- 11. Click [Next]
- 12 Confirm that all information is correct before clicking the checkbox to accept the terms and conditions
- 13. Click [Submit]